Thursday 25 October 2012

Der Wiener Prater

Before it is getting pathetic I will entertain you with another blog about the part of our Summer holidays that we spent in Vienna.

We had not been to the Wiener Prater for a very long time, and actually we do not care about all the horrible rides there, when they shoot you up into the sky, everything is so fast, so high and stomach-turning - but we sure like to watch others being rocketed into the sky or turned into dozens of somersaults! And we sure like the atmosphere there, having some good time in a very traditional Viennese area that introduced a new style recently but still cannot hide its nostalgia.



Here you see the Giant Ferris Wheel, that has been a symbol of the Vienna Prater since 1897 when it was erected for the World Fair. I agree it is not one of them "cool rides", but it offers a lovely view, it is something even people who are afraid of all the other rides can get on, and to Viennese people it simply was there forever and is expected to remain there forever.

For clarification: The "Prater" actually is the green lung of the city, it is huge and a long time ago it was the Imperial hunting ground and only accessable for Aristocracy. Joseph II. gave it to the public in 1766 as a leisure centre. And the part we have been to this time, the "Wurschtlprater", is the Fair of this huge area that was built up much later. (For those of you who are interested in linguistics/history: In German "the Hanswurst" or in elder Austrian German "the Wurschtl" is a very historical figure, he is the guy that always gets up after he has been knocked down, the lucky one, if you want. Today he is called "the Kaschperl" and more a funny puppet for kids who still watch the Kaschperltheater on TV or in the puppet theatre, but actually there is a lot of tradition behind the "Wurschtl". And this is where the name "Wurschtlprater" comes from. History lecture out, thanks for putting up with me!)


They have been tinkering with the "new face" of the Prater for quite a few years, this is how the entrance area looks now. It is called "der Calafatiplatz" - "Calafati" in fact having been some real person, even though in context with the Prater "the Calafati" is more used as another symbol of the place.


This is one of the traditional merry-go-rounds near the entrance. I think I might - just might! - be able to go on that one.


Almost first thing we took a ride on the Lilliputbahn! It is a little train that runs alongside the Wurschtlprater and takes you into the green heart of the Prater. For a while you go parallel to the Main Alley where you can watch joggers, walkers, bikers and other people enjoying their favorite in-city recreation area. I LOVE the Liliputbahn! As a kid my parents used to take me there, and on a hot, sunny day in the cool shades of the huge chestnut trees there is nothing better to do!!


They built other ferris wheels meanwhile, less comfy, less slow. Not a cat´s chance in hell I would get on that one!

 

Or on that one....























Fly, Austrian flag! Fly, crazy life-sick daredevils, definately not moi....

For a little refreshment break (or a large one) I recommend the "Walfisch". I know, I know, everybody storms into the "Schweizerhaus" so that one might get the impression they give away food and beverages for free (which is au contraire!). And nothing can be said against the Schweizerhaus, except that it is extremely packed usually, and that I don´t like their speciality, Stelze (which in fact might not bother you very much). But my parents started going to the Walfisch many years ago, it is much less crowded, the food is just as good as in the other place, and well, I just feel sorry for that little a bit run-down place. I hope they survive....



I think I will never find out what is in here. It has been there for a couple of years, so I guess it must be more than just cheap puppets that would bore the heck out of people, but what can be inside? The Real Jurassic Park??


The Prater simply has something for everyone. It can be very nostalgic....


or wild (another one of those rides I would never - well, you know)...


And sometimes it is simply pretty with playful little details.


We had a good day there, and we give a big Thumbs up! A very big one, to match the big guy we found here.























And when we come again I might even go on one of the rides.....

                                                                                            ...................or maybe not.

7 comments:

Carol said...

Fantastic pictures, so crisp - and of such a lovely place too - fairground colours are always interesting but these especially! thank you!

Hase said...

Dear Carol,

Thank you very much! We loved going there, and I loved writing this blog entry. I am glad you enjoyed it! Have fun on my blog and feel at home, please come back any time!

Hase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your blog. I am going to book mark this when I get to my home computer. I enjoyed your visit to the amusement park and your comments about your new tea brewer. and the title of your blog is genius.

Juju

Hase said...

Dear Juju,
Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog, I am glad you enjoyed it! And you definately know your literature! "Mere shadows..." just seemed to be the right title - it came just naturally. And I admire Charles Dickens very much!!

XXXX, Silvia

Katzi said...

möi!!
der Hase mit bunten Zecherln. üijüi
schon wieder so fantastische Bilder.
Ihr habt einen herrlichen Herbsttag erwischt.
Kissi

Hase said...

Lach, jaja, man muß sich ja attraktiv machen für das eigene Buberl! Die Fotos sind ja schon vom Sommer, wie es so total heiß war, aber ich bin bis jetzt nicht dazu gekommen sie online zu stellen. Aber es war so ein superduper Tag, das wollte ich natürlich nicht für mich behalten! Kissi - dein Hais, der sich schon sehr auf ein Wiedersehen freut!!